Monday, March 31, 2008

It's almost April?!

Hello from Guatemala!


My sweet mom came down two weeks ago and we had a great time. It was great to have her here, and for her to see what I've been talking about. We spent one day in Guatemala City and got to relax and spend time together, it was great! Later, we went to the Oasis and we ate dinner with the girls in the blue house. Mom was a hit! We also went to Antigua (Johnny & Maria Coker were our tour guides, thanks so much!!), and were able to see a procession for Semana Santa (Holy Week). People from the Catholic churches and the community will spend hours making alfombras (carpets made of saw dust, pine straw, flowers, and other stuff) that cover parts of the streets that the parade walk down. Church members are selected to carry huge floats (not balloons, these are big heavy wooden things) down the road. They sway from side to side and carry them down the road, trampling those beautiful carpets that they spent hours on. Other men swing buckets of incense in front of the floats, it was like a big cloud coming down the road. I learned that they make a big deal about Good Friday and the days leading up to Easter Sunday, but after that you hear nothing about Christ's resurrection! It's like they're so close, and yet they miss the point. Jesus is alive!


The girls are doing well, and for the most part they are happy and healthy girls! Please pray for the older ones. Peer pressure can be a problem, and some of them are more interested in impressing each other than doing what it right. I've learned that kids are kids, no matter where in the world they're from! Pray for the younger girls, that they will understand what they're learning, retain it, and excel in school. Pray for the house parents, that they'll have wisdom and patience. Their jobs are not easy but so very important. Pray for the girls to see each other as friends and sisters, and that they'll value each other. Pray for the leadership at Kids Alive, both in Guatemala and around the world. Please pray that I'll have opportunities to love the girls and that the Lord will use me.


My job as of last week has been to enter books into the library cataloging system. It's a slow process but it's coming along! I'm enjoying it. They've also got me working on some photography projects for the girls' sponsors and for the home office. I'm really excited about it! I'm so thankful for this opportunity, and feel so blessed to have this time when I can learn so much and see new things and worship the Lord in a different language! God is good! For those who have supported me and prayed for me, thank you so much! May we all run after the Lord, wherever we are, so we can know, love, and glorify Him!



No comments: