Sunday, February 10, 2008

Week 1

I've been here over a week and am really enjoying it! I'm helping with the 1st/2nd grade class everyday. There are 4 little girls in the class- Isabel, Aldi, Candy, and Carlita....

Here's precious little Carlita!! Hearing her laugh just makes my day!

Isabel is on the left(isquierda :D) and Candy is on the right (derecha :D) 

This is Aldi! She is lots of fun & has such a cute personality!!

Here's Isabel, she was my first friend at the Oasis! She is so loving & likes my camera!


I already love them so much, it's almost like they're my little sisters! It's so much fun being with the little ones, and it's also been good for my spanish to be in the class! It's so nice to be with all the girls (34 in all), because they don't mind how bad my spanish is or how many times I ask them to repeat themselves. I'm learning a lot from them. I've heard some of their stories & it's heartbreaking. It's so hard to believe how people can abandon their children. I am so happy to say that these girls are loved and cared for here, but it's hard to comprehend what they've already gone through. The Lord knows, and He is in control. He is faithful and good, even when we don't understand why things happen. 




It's so beautiful here. I can see 3 volcanoes from the Oasis, and the sunsets are amazing. Here's a picture of Agua. It's hard to describe, I'll have to take more pictures. I've enjoyed the food...except for this tamale thing we had for lunch the other day. It was some part of the chicken, bone still in, inside some dough stuff, wrapped in a corn husk. I got quite a little surprise when I cut into it, haha! The fruit is so good, some of the best pineapple I've ever had! It is sort of cold, which I wasn't expecting. I've been wearing long sleeves everyday! The bugs aren't bad, except for the fleas- yuck! They like me but the feeling isn't mutual. I'm just glad there aren't mosquitos up at the Oasis. I'm not a fan of malaria. 


I'm still just trying to take it all in, sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm actually here!  

1 comment:

Kristi & Drew said...

I'm so glad things are going well for you! I have been thinking of you lots. The Lord is using this experience to change your life and the lives of those around you. I love you and miss you!!!